In My Kitchen – May

After reading Jane’s post, I thought it would be fun to join in with the In My Kitchen This Month, so welcome to my kitchen.

I have a multitude of duck eggs. I’ve given away dozens, baked cakes, made proper custard, meringues … The asparagus is now ready to cut, so what better than asparagus dipped into a soft boiled egg.

Black bread! I make bread nearly every week but usually stick to my basic white, wholemeal or Essex huffer so I’ve decided to try a new recipe at least once a month. This Black Bread recipe is from Dan Lepard’s Short & Sweet book and contains black treacle, instant coffee and cocoa. Interesting if nothing else. Actually it tastes good, though I think I may have been a bit heavy handed with the black treacle spoon.

Sugar. Kilos and kilos of it. Beth has a stall booked at the Young Farmers show later in the month and is frantically finishing her fruit gins. This week the raspberries have been taken out of the gin and the sweetness levels finessed. My kitchen is awash with raspberries, gin and sugar. Life isn’t all bad.

Boozy raspberries in white chocolate. The bonus of Beth using my kitchen is that I can pinch some of her waste product. I melted a bar of white chocolate, stirred in a couple of spoonfuls of gin infused raspberries, spread it out on some baking paper and left it to set.

Something a little longer lasting than chocolate, is my kitchen cupboard. A badly made cupboard of no distinction. My father-in-law remembered it in his mother’s kitchen; he used to come home from school, take down a jar of jam from the shelf and eat a spoonful. When we moved here the cupboard had been demoted to a back bedroom and I was worried that the door had woodworm. Closer inspection revealed a strange circular pattern to the holes and it transpired that was where Bill and his brothers had hung a dartboard. We dragged the cupboard back to the kitchen and repainted it and though the door doesn’t shut properly and the shelves are splintering, it is an enormously useful cupboard.

What is in your kitchen this month?  Why not share and join in the fun at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

14 thoughts on “In My Kitchen – May

1. Sophie says:

Hello
    What a fabulous post – love the cupboard (oh so organised), love the duck eggs (great colours) – but why are they numbered? I am intolerant to eggs but haven’t tested whether I am intolerant to Duck eggs. Hmmm may need to experiment with that one.
    Love the black bread – it looks like a slightly over done version of my Spelt Soda Bread (recipe on my recipes page) if you fancy giving it a whirl. I can vouch for it being very good and particularly yummy covered in homemade jam and creme fraiche (sort of like a scone).
    Happy baking and love reading your posts.
    Sophie

Wonderful to see you again Anne! Your kitchen is full of beautiful things. The duck eggs are incredible, the black bread is very interesting , the raspberries and white chocolate look delicious and your kitchen cupboard is full of stories, character and good things. Thanks for sharing 🙂

3. heidiannie says:

I love your kitchen- especially th “boozy” raspberries in chocolate.
    And the cupboard with the stories and memories and wounded circle of holes is a treasure!
    Thanks for sharing!

What a lovely post! Thanks for playing, Anne! I love all your gorgeous duck eggs – I make lemon curd and custard in the microwave, and I can just imagine how much richer they’d be with duck eggs instead of chooky ones! The cupboard is beautiful, as is the chocolate, and I can only imagine how delicious the raspberry gin must be. We’ve just filtered our plum brandy for the year – it’s quite sweet. When you say “the sweetness levels finessed”, do you mean adding more vodka or gin or sugar at this late stage? Is that doable? I’d like to reduce the sweetness in ours just a little, but wasn’t sure if adding vodka to it was the best way to go. Thanks!

5. Janine says:

Your kitchen is both fascinating and beautiful. Like Sophie, I wondered why the eggs were numbered–of course it all makes perfect sense now 🙂

6. woolythymes says:

Oh, I’m so happy I stumbled into your blog….via knitsofacto!!! Love the kitchen look (I have an old old red cupboard adorning my kitchen); can’t wait to try that boozy chocolate/raspberry combo, too. I’ll be back!!!

7. Jane Paterson says:

Anne, really enjoyed your blog and stories, reminded me of my childhood on the farm. Love the photo’s of Morris have shown them to Fran and Ruby.