In My Kitchen – June

Welcome again as I join Celia at  Fig Jam and Lime Cordial for the June post of In My Kitchen. With the weather finally warming up, the ugly but functional secondary glazing has been removed (hurrah) and the windows in the kitchen flung open.

Everywhere and everything is emblazoned with the Union Jack this weekend and in the supermarket the Diamond Jubilee commemorative tins are stacked up alongside flags to wave and paper cups and napkins for the celebrations. Amongst the newspapers and magazines that gather in the kitchen, is a recipe for Elizabeth sponge cake (as opposed to Victoria) but I don’t think it will catch on.

The flowers in the garden and fields are looking gorgeous and I try to have a few in the house each week. This is the last of the lilac, the photo taken when it was just cut as opposed to the rather sad looking specimens left on the dresser now.

The girdle that belonged to my grandmother. No, that’s not a typo. You may say griddle, but Gran was Scottish and so it was her and now my girdle. This was made by the village blacksmith and so is pretty hefty and basic but it fits my hotplate perfectly. It’s never washed up, just wiped with a piece of kitchen paper, so goodness knows what’s lurking on it. I use it for making girdle scones or most often, for pancakes.  The recipe below is from my mother, who makes batch after batch of round, evenly browned pancakes.  As children we would stand beside the cooker pleading for our initial or an animal shape and then we’d drop a spoonful of golden syrup onto the still warm pancake and eat it before asking for another. Any that were left over from tea time were usually fried in bacon fat for breakfast the next morning, but we don’t seem to do that nowadays.

pancake ready to turn over

Mum’s Pancakes

125g SR flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 egg beaten very well with 1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon golden syrup
Milk to mix

Put your girdle or frying pan onto the hotplate to heat.
Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl, drop in the golden syrup and egg.
Mix together and add the milk – maybe half a cup – but enough to make the consistency like thick cream.
Drop the mixture onto the hot, lightly greased girdle (or frying pan) in tablespoonfuls.
When the bubbles erupt and burst (as above), flip over with a palette knife and cook until done.
Place the pancakes on a wire rack between a folded clean tea towel and repeat until all the mixture is used.

These Scotch pancakes or drop scones are best eaten on the day they’re made, spread with butter and jam.

What is in your kitchen this month?  Why not share and join in the fun at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

16 thoughts on “In My Kitchen – June

Hi Anne, I love the girdle. It is lovely to have something of your grandmother’s to remember her by, especially when it makes such perfect pancakes.

2. heidiannie says:

Thank you so much for sharing a look at your Grandmother’s girdle!
    I have recipe for singin’ hinnies that is supposed to be cooked on a girdle- the recipe came from a friend of my mother – the friend was from North Umberland- so that is pretty close to Scotland, isn’t it?
    And the lilacs are lovely!

What a lovely post! I didn’t know it was the Diamond Jubilee – sixty years! Poor old Charles is never going to sit on the throne, I think. I love the view out of your kitchen window, what a joy it must be to look out over the garden beds. And your grandmother’s girdle…thanks for sharing that and the other things in your kitchen with us this month! 🙂

Lovely things again this month Anne! I am a huge royal follower/fan so I am trying to catch lots of the jubilee wherever I can on the internet. The girdle is fascinating. I make a very similar recipe but we call them pikelets, they are a family favourite. Have a lovely weekend.

• Anne @GtSlamseysFarm says:

To us, pikelets are a sort of thin crumpet. Funny how the same word means different things across the world. Hope you caught plenty of jubilee events – I’m a bit jubileed out now.

5. knitsofacto says:

Thank you so much for reminding me about drop scones. My griddle was mislaid in our last house move and, as with everything I get out of the habit of doing, I kind of forgot what I was missing. Welsh cakes just aren’t the same cooked without one either. That’s it, I’m hitting the shops on a griddle mission after the bank holiday.

Enjoy the Jubilee 😀

6. teawithhazel says:

ah..that view from your kitchen window is so heart warming..and i can almost smell the scent of the lilac in the enamel pot..and owning something like your gran’s girdle is so special especially when it’s been made by the village blacksmith..i’m sure your pancakes taste even better made on it than not..long live liz..:)

7. Choclette says:

Oh I didn’t know it was called a girdle in Scotland, what fun. Not sure I’d want to be wearing that. Things warmed up briefly, then got cold again – we are in winter clothes here in Cornwall.