there’s something I need to tell you

beautiful gift tags from Daisyley

Everywhere on the internet are pictures of people getting ready for Christmas. Beautifully decorated homes show off Christmas trees adorned with baubles and lights, glazed hams and buttery biscuits are laid out for us to salivate over, there are ideas for home made presents and tutorials for wrapping them (though even if I followed them, I’d still manage to make a box of chocolates look like a football). Sometimes, I wonder if behind all that perfection lurks a little mayhem. A cupboard stuffed with all the belongings that have been cleared away to create the calm, still room or a trayful of burnt biscuits because the oven was too hot.

Because, sometimes our blogs can deceive. Not intentionally, but by omission. Do you remember the skirt I made? I forgot to tell you that when I cut out the front section, I placed the wrong pattern on the fabric, so had to cut out another piece. I also forgot to tell you that when I did this, I managed to turn the fabric round the other way and because it’s needlecord and has a nap, the back and front now look slightly different colours.

When Celia commented that she loved my old stone walls around the vegetable garden, I just let it go. I didn’t tell her that they aren’t beautiful stone walls, but ugly cast concrete, with fairly major cracks and a distinct lean in places.

vegetable garden

Look carefully and you can see it’s so. And that led me to think … what do you think lies behind my vegetable garden? Beyond that little clump of trees. You probably imagine that we look over a patchwork of fields. After all, we live on a farm.

Alas, no. Climb the garden wall, walk up the bank behind, peek through the trees and there’s a main road. We live beside a roundabout, albeit screened by trees. Look in the other direction and there’s fields as far as the eye can see – but not out of the kitchen window.

clean slate

Oh I do feel better for getting that off my chest. I feel I can go into the New Year with a clean slate.

Perhaps this is the time to tell you that not all the drinks in the Advent Calendar have been as enthusiastically received as I hoped and some have languished unopened for days as everyone’s been busy with the Christmas trees.

Advent Calendar Day 18

What secrets lurk behind your blog?

14 thoughts on “there’s something I need to tell you

Good stuff Anne! I still like your ‘stone’ walls! What lurks behind my blog; piles of washing, two batches of failed meringues (any tips!?) 1 sick child, floors in need of mopping…there is certainly a little mayhem behind the scenes 🙂

Hahaha…does that feel better, Anne? I still love your stone walls, even if they’re crooked concrete. Lurking secrets? I’m a truly crap housekeeper, but sufficiently short sighted not to always notice, and I have appalling knife skills, so I’m always bleeding. Actually that last one isn’t a secret. Oh, and we drink UHT milk because I’m too lazy to shop every other day. And I’m not nearly as lean as my profile photo might suggest. 🙂 Merry Christmas!

Oh Anne, I did imagine green fields:) I do know where you are coming from though, we have to remember to put up the duds as well as the successes. I am never as organised as I hope and year after year will go by and I don’t make a pannetone like I have always wanted to or use those fancy biscuit cutters I bought years ago, but it doesn’t matter, we have to be gentle on ourselves.

4. Auburn Meadow Farm says:

Ha! That’s funny Anne. I wonder that too. My secret would be that my energy level tends to end with hitting Publish on the post. So that apple molasses I’m supposed to be gifting? i’m just as likely to not get it made and packaged in time.

My barn is unsightly from the outside, though I have come to love it on the inside. My garden failures outnumber my successes, and I often grow stuff that goes to waste because I don’t have the energy to put it up in time…

Being Martha comes with a high price tag – you can’t be that perfectionistic and be fun for your family to be around… its healthier to spend your time living your life instead of staging it…

Ah I had totally thought those garden walls were stone too, but I can easily see they’re not now! However, they do look like pleasantly weathered and mossy concrete 🙂
    Hmm I have probably posted quite a few pictures of the messy, broken, chaotic parts of our house but I’m unlikely ever to show the boxes of (an embarrassing amount of) beer and wine bottles out for recycling that confront visitors as they walk down our driveway to our ‘side front door’. Not a great look!

6. knitsofacto says:

Missed this. And I wonder how often these slightly revelatory posts do get missed. I wrote one last year that made it clear my home is not remotely grand, or even very nice, but I still get comments from folk who seem to think that living in the country equates to living in a pretty ‘period’ cottage with roses around the door. Mind you, I wouldn’t live in town for all the tea in china so I still consider myself blessed.

Great post 😀

7. lizzygoodthings says:

You know, not sure how I missed this post Anne, but thanks so much for sharing! Love it. And I still love the view of your garden!

8. Emily Grace says:

A state highway splits our farm right down the middle. We can see it from our home, but thankfully, our home is set far enough off the road that it is not so intrusive and doesn’t make for splattered kitties. I like cats and prefer them intact on my porches, not flat as pancakes on the highways.

Other than that, I am a mere 7 miles from major shopping centers, less than that from the 4 lane interstate. When I married my Farmer, I moved closer to town from where I grew up.

This was delightful admission – hiding behind every farm blog is God-knows-what-may-disappoint-assumptions. 🙂 I may need to go take a picture of the concrete in my life now and share that, too. 🙂