Farmhouse Breakfast Week

Thursday’s breakfast …

brioche and rose petal jam

… warm, buttery brioche eaten with rose petal jam

spiced coffee

… accompanied by a cup of hot spiced coffee.

Brioche are usually a weekend treat as I make a batch of fifteen, then freeze them so I can take out one at a time, but if I’m going to eat something different every day this week I need some speedy alternatives to porridge. As you may have guessed, I didn’t get up at the crack of dawn to make this but just took it out of the freezer last night. I’ve tried several brioche recipes but always come back to Richard Bertinet’s recipe in his book Crust, which I bake in silicone moulds so they don’t have a crusty outside. Usually I avoid silicone bakeware as I hate its floppiness, which leads to spilt cake mixtures on the way to the oven (yes, I know I should put it on a metal tray) and mis-shapen cakes when the mixture pushes out the side of the mould as it rises, but I’ll put up with the slightly odd shape and pale shade of brown just to have soft brioche.

The spiced coffee is made using my spices for tea and coffee. I simmered half milk, half water with 2 spoonfuls of ground coffee, 3/4 teaspoonful of spice and feeling reckless, a teaspoonful of cocoa and a little brown sugar.

Have you taken up the Breakfast Challenge?

11 thoughts on “Farmhouse Breakfast Week

Yum Anne, I am loving your breakfast posts. Would you consider sharing your brioche recipe? I have tried to make it several times with average results. I love brioche but cannot buy it locally.

2. sophiezest says:

Now this looks absolutely delicious! And such a pretty photo! I don’t even drink tea or coffee, but I’m tempted by the tea spices… On the downside, I am feeling slightly inadequate at not making my own brioche. How do you find time to do all these things? Perhaps brioche will be next on my list, now I’ve tried croissants, but my husbands fills the freezer with all sorts of things so there may not be room.

• Anne @GtSlamseysFarm says:

Your croissants looked wonderful Sophie and they’re far more complicated than brioche, which is really only a sweet dough enriched with butter and eggs and none of that time consuming folding and resting you have to do with croissants.

3. Thomasina Tittlemouse says:

This looks absolutely fabulous! Wish I were having breakfast at your house this week! Know what you mean about those flippy-floppy silicone moulds which i instinctively distrust but have to admit they do a good job. Must look out for brioche-shaped ones. Do you grease them or trust to their non-stick nature? How lovely to enjoy one of these in the depths of winter with a spoonful of summer in the shape of rose petal jam! E x
    PS Your spices for tea / coffee have been a huge hit here – got to whizz up a new batch very shortly!

• Mrs Thomasina Tittlemouse says:

No, I’ve followed your prescription exactly apart from having to use ground cloves instead of whole ones as my pestle and mortar failed to pulverise whole ones! I do add a bay leaf sometimes as you suggested. The homemade version is a complete revelation and so much more fragrant than anything commercial. I have to keep opening the jar and having a quick fix every time I pass it in the kitchen! E x

Anne
    Your brioche looks fab (I have Crust so I will check out the recipe) but I love the look of that rose petal jam. I am going to make some soon (I have been saying that for 18 months now) so it must be really, really soon:).