in my kitchen – February

In my kitchen this month …

marmalade and sourdough

… marmalade making. I can never resist buying Seville oranges when they hit the shops, so I can make at least one batch of marmalade. The jars were labelled and put away …

pantry

… in the pantry. Next to rather too many jars of 2012 marmalade. If I was a good blogger, I would have done a little styling, rather than opening the door and taking a quick picture. So, not only do I have several jars of marmalade from last year but I also appear to have two tubs of cocoa, two tubs of glace cherries, two tins of golden syrup and two tins of treacle. The snow in January, which kept us confined to quarters for a week, meant that we ate quite a bit from the freezer but judging by the shelves in the pantry, we didn’t eat much jam. This year I’m going to be disciplined and only make fresh jam if all the previous year’s jam of that type has been used. And if I’m going to take another picture of my laden shelves I shall (a) hide quite a lot of things and place the rest in uniformed and ordered lines and (b) put all my preserves into beautiful jars with matching lids and labels stuck on straight.

snowdrops

… a tiny bunch of snowdrops. A little chink of hope that these grey days of winter will soon be over and spring is on its way. The daffodils are just beginning to poke through the grass and little clumps of snowdrops litter the grass under the apple trees.

… knobbly artichokes, strange shaped parsnips with good old Essex clay still sticking to them and leeks from the garden, which as you can see through the kitchen window is looking very brown and bare at the moment.

What’s happening in your kitchen this month? Why not join in with Celia at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

30 thoughts on “in my kitchen – February

1. Maeve Heneke says:

Please don’t bother with styling -I’d much rather see a pantry that looks like one rather than an artfully “styled” one that bears little resemblance to real life or indeed a real cook! My batch of 2013 marmalade is still lined up at the back of the worktop; at least yours has made it to the pantry. Thank you for a most entertaining blog.

Anne,
    I love your pantry. It has so much in it. I don’t feel quite so bad about mine, now:) I am always buying things and then finding that I had it already hidden away at the back of the pantry.

3. sophiezest says:

Did you make that bread?? Love the picture of the pantry. How encouraging to see that someone else has the same hoarding tendencies as me. For example, I always have a tiny bit of mixed peel or glace cherries or vegetarian suet leftover from last year’s Christmas baking; so I buy more. Which means I have more leftovers for the following year… And as for packets of sugar, I have about 6 different types.

• Anne @GtSlamseysFarm says:

Yes, I made the bread Sophie. I think the reason I have so many glace cherries is that one tub was almost empty and I bought the other in anticipation of a big Christmas baking session that didn’t happen. I seem to have rather a lot of different packets of sugar too.

4. heidiannie says:

Isn’t it funny? I look at my pantry and am depressed by my bad habits and sloppy ways- I look at your pantry and love it! Or maybe I feel some kinship and validation that all pantries look that way, if we are honest or don’t have constant cleaning and straightening going on.
    I love your snowdrops- my daffodils put up their tips of leaves and were snapped at by the cold- they haven’t even tried to come out any further!
    And your beds- plus the artichokes, parsnips and leeks are so heartening. This winter is becoming very hard to bear- I keep looking for harbingers of Spring.
    Thanks for the peek into your pantry and out your kitchen window! 🙂

5. Fiona says:

Pleased to see that as well as you and me, your other commenters also have ‘unstyled’ pantries. Would love to be able to trade some of my mango chutney for your orange marmalade.

I love your unstyled pantry too! (Still looks neater than ours.) My immediate impression was not clutter but ‘what an impressive lot of preserving!’.

Love your bread and marmalade – do you use a proving basket to get those lovely striations? I did smile at your pantry and wondered why I too have two unopened tins of golden syrup and, worse than you, three tins of treacle stacked up in my larder – three! What am I thinking of?! Your preserves look wonderful though and there’s something special about a photograph that is just so real and clearly so recognisable judging from your other commenters! Your leeks from the garden are absolutely gorgeous. E x

• Anne @GtSlamseysFarm says:

Yes don’t the proving baskets make a wonderful pattern? They’re an overpriced item (in my opinion) so I’ve avoided buying any and tried to make do with colanders and bowls, which wasn’t always a total success so they were a particularly welcome present. In my case, the syrup and treacle overstocking is a result of “mustn’t run out of anything I might use for Christmas baking”.

8. Jayne says:

I love marmalade! I have my whole life, just one of my favorites. It’s so delicious on toast with a hot cup of tea. I don’t think your pantry looks a mess at all, it looks like a cornucopia of delightful treats!!

Anne, don’t tidy up! I love seeing your pantry – nice to know I’m not the only one who has their shelves packed full! Mind you, you’ve been snowed in, so you need to stockpile a little – we have no excuse! 🙂

Lovely to see all your produce and your gorgeous garden, with the rolling hills and fields behind it.. Ok, so now we know better, but I can still imagine, right? 😉

10. Julie says:

ooooh Anne I do love your pantry shelves. I have a narrow deep cupboard which I store my jars in but it’s really not very useful. Long shelves stacked with homemade marmalade are a wonderful sight! Your veg garden looks lovely too – all restful and ready for growing lots once the longer, warmer days arrive, hopefully those snowdrops are a sign it is on the way!

11. rusty duck says:

Hi Anne,
    Thank you so much for leaving a comment on rusty duck today, and leading me here.
    I’m on a mission to get my veg garden really working for me this year.
    And I’ll find so much to inspire me on your lovely blog.
    Jessica

12. theclevercarrot says:

I think your pantry is fabulous Anne! After reading the other comments, I think everyone else does too! Better to have a stockpile than nothing, right? Your bread looks delicios. I can just imagine eating a warm slice with marmalade on one of these dreary winter days!