spaghetti bolog-neighs?

horse in dovehouse field

It seems that the beef in Tesco’s Spaghetti Bolognaise was actually horsemeat. So, who’s surprised that processed foods are contaminated? Or that if you can’t be bothered or don’t have the skill to cook then you’ll be ripped off? Or that every step in food processing is an opportunity to pad out expensive raw ingredients with cheap filler?

I want to rant. But I’m not going to.

I just hope that this latest food scandal will make people think a little more about the food they eat, so that when they reach for the cheapest sausages, they’ll question how much of the “pork” is made from mechanically recovered meat slurry or that instead of buying a plastic tray of cooked and mashed potato they buy (for the same price) three times as many raw potatoes, which they boil and mash themselves.

I’d like to think that the obvious lack of traceability and dodgy practises involved with the processed food chain would encourage people to support our farmers, growers, independent butchers and food shops whenever we can, but we appear to be wedded to the supermarkets despite their obvious shortcomings. Perhaps, at the very least, it will make us read the labels, check the ingredients and use our brains when we shop for food.

I know it’s very old fashioned to roast a joint of meat for Sunday dinner, eat it cold on Monday, use it for a pie on Tuesday and soup on Wednesday, but it’s looking a fine proposition at the moment. And I wouldn’t mind if it was horsemeat, just so long as I knew what I was eating.

Rant averted.Almost.

15 thoughts on “spaghetti bolog-neighs?

1. Jayne says:

I agree! Well said!!!! Cooking from scratch is so easy and tastes so much better and buying your produce, meat and eggs from a local farmer is much healthier and much more ethically sound in so many ways…

Anne, I am with you. I think we are all with you. I am amazed how much money people spend on rubbish when they could spend much, much less and make a very nourishing meal out of fresh, quality ingredients.

3. Thomasina Tittlemouse says:

Absolutely. We were talking about this at the weekend and I said somewhat pessimistically that horse was only what they’d found already and who knows what else they might find? No surprise to read yesterday that it is not just horse but also donkey. Interfering legislation has a great deal to answer for it seems. Six months ago the animals now in these ghastly processed foods were happily working pulling carts etc in Romania, but the new Romanian law forbidding their use on car-infested roads was their death-knell. Tragic. Roasting a farm-reared guinea fowl here on Sunday from a traceable estate seems more like it and I find if I use the carcass for stock and save every scrap of meat, it makes three meals, one roast, one cold and one risotto, working out at about £1 a head which beats the socks off a lot of these processed foods and not just in terms of knowing what we’re eating either. E x

4. sophiezest says:

I completely agree with everyone here. It was interesting hearing on the Food Programme yesterday about French legislation which prevents supermarkets from opening in cities. This provides much-needed support to small bakers, butchers, greengrocers etc. But the French are prepared to spend much more of their disposable income on food than we are. If you’re only willing to fork out 10% of your household income on food, why are you surprised that the food is poor quality?

5. Sarah @bluewaterdreaming says:

Love the post title! I hadn’t heard of the Tesco horse meat issue before reading this, which explains some of strange horse meat related tweets in my feed lately.

We’ve had to eat cheap in the past due to financial pressures and now i’m wondering what sort of crap we ate, but then again maybe it’s best not to know. Now though we have more money and try to eat healthier and to make more conscious choices when shopping. I think it’s everyone’s responsibility to be an educated consumer, it’s a shame there isn’t more access to local producers where we live.

6. Sharon Braxton says:

All this news has made me even more glad that we have farm raised beef and eggs readily available from my brother-in-law. We know exactly what is fed to them and what we are eating. We raise a lot of our veggies and freeze or can them each year. And the pre-packaged mash potatoes??? Been here in America for years. Sometimes, I think we Americans are the laziest lot around.

Sharon