autumn

We’ve gone from summer to autumn in a week. Last week the sun was shining and this week we’ve woken to autumnal days with an overcast sky and a nip in the air. According to Blogland, I should be wearing tweed, icy pastels and dark, moody florals; the kitchen cupboards should be groaning with jams in identical jars decorated with computer printed labels and a circle of floral fabric fastened by a beautiful ribbon; Kilner jars filled with chutneys and pickles should be arranged on lace edged shelves and I should be investing in tartan rugs to nonchalantly throw across the back of the sofa.

Instead of that, we’re marking the start of autumn with a “Guess the Weight of the Marrows” competition*, closely followed by a “What on earth are we going to do with all this marrow” discussion. And …

patchwork quilt

searching for things that were put away for the summer in those hopeful days of spring, like the patchwork quilt that’s back on the bed

bedroom curtains

drawing the thick curtains at night to keep the autumn darkness at bay

knitting cardigan

thinking about knitting – just the button band, buttons and fasteners to do on this cardigan, but motivation was lacking in the summer heat

patterns for hats and jumpers in autumn hues have been perused and wool ordered

damsons

picking damsons to cook in crumbles

chocolate and raspberry cake

smuggling autumn fruiting raspberries into chocolate cakes

We’re eating tomato soup. Rather a lot of tomato soup. Because we still have rather a lot of tomatoes. And marrow. Rather a lot of marrow.

And I’m wondering when that box at the bottom of the page appeared. The one that states “Occasionally, some of your visitors may see an advertisement here.” To get rid of this box, it seems I need to pay WordPress $30 for a No Ads upgrade. Yeah, right.

* the last two marrows weighed 5.6kg and 2.7kg

25 thoughts on “autumn

1. Kathy says:

Intrigued to see how you have placed your runner bean sticks. Going to give this a try next year as I am unable to reach our highest beans. What is the length of your runner bean sticks?? and are you managing to reach the top ones. Love your blog, we so wish we could have a garden patch like yours.

• Anne @GtSlamseysFarm says:

The bean sticks are about 2 metres long and stuck in the ground varying amounts. The soil level in our beds is a bit below the sides, so I can stand on the side of the bed to give me a bit more reach and the sticks are angled low.

• Kathy says:

Thank you for the information Anne, I have written it in my gardening book and will let you know how I get on next year, had to get a tall neighbour in yesterday to pick the highest beans, still loads more to come, weather permitting. ;-))

2. Gather and Graze says:

Your chocolate cake with raspberries looks sensational Anne! Also love the patchwork quilt – looks like it has a beautiful edging on it – did you make it yourself? Cheers, Margot
    PS. I’m also getting the pop-up box suggesting I spend $30 to remove advertising…

• Gather and Graze says:

I’m sure it would be a more pleasant experience without them, but unless I hear reports that the ads are inappropriate/offensive, they will continue to exist for the time being. I’m sure if they made it $10 a lot more people would sign up for it! Also, the majority of my followers are bloggers themselves, so won’t be seeing the ads if they’re logged in…

3. sally says:

Wow British fabric comes with a lot of emotional baggage. What with the icey pastels, mooody florals and nochalant throws. That quilt is a beauty, but I wonder if it knows it? If you have had it shut away all summer It probably has some self esteem issues by now!

4. rusty duck says:

I’ve been thinking along much the same line and you’ve beaten me to it. The abrupt change to the season does tend to shift the gear. Your quilt is lovely, it will bring back summer in spirit anyway.
    I can’t see the ad box, but what a cheek!

Anne, every time you mention raspberries I get jealous. You wait, I am sure I will have more than 3 this year!! BTW, I gave all the lemons and limes to the local ice cream shop in exchange for 2 tubs of ice cream. Not a bad deal considering I haven’t used last year’s cordial yet and they were destined for the compost.

6. Jas@AbsolutelyJas says:

I’m with Lisa. Please please please take the cold back! Although I shouldn’t complain – it’s been a very mild winter here 🙂

7. Garden Correspondent says:

I would be wishing for autumnal weather just to be able to wear that lovely cardigan. We have had a shift in the weather as well, but more the type of thing where you are better off in the sun than in the shade at the beach — we’re miles away from sweater weather still!

Tweed? Yes! Want to get a proper tweed jacket instead of my usual dilapidated (not in a good way) cold weather waxed jacket that is now seriously disreputable. Good ones last forever apparently (unless Mrs Moth pays a visit!) Icy pastels – no thanks nor the moody florals! Yes to the quilt though – it’s becoming blanket weather again and that’s always cheering! Your marrows sound fearsome – what do you do with them when they’re that size?! Enjoy your tomato soup! E x

9. andreamynard says:

I love that quilt and the knitting too. Funnily enough, my knitting has been abandoned for gardening on summer evenings but I was just thinking about that warm cardigan that I abandoned at the end of last winter and wondering if I can actually finish it in time to wear this time! We lit our first woodburner this week so it seems only right that the knitting should come out.

10. mandala56 says:

What gorgeous photos, especially that cardigan and the chocolate/raspberry cake. Are damsons plums? I should look it up.
    I always ignore the ads. Don’t worry about it! I didn’t realize that if you’re logged in you don’t see them. Makes sense I suppose.

11. knitsofacto says:

Might I suggest unadorned mismatched jars of marrow chutney, to be placed on a shelf that sports nothing more than a light sprinkling of dust. That’s how we roll here anyway. And marrows make great wine too if you have the time and necessary equipment. Or how about marrow rum …

12. Jenny says:

Its funny how quickly the weather has turned autumnal isn’t it. We’ve been debating the central heating, digging out tights and socks and enjoying the apple harvest from our tree. I have lots of different chutneys I’d like to make with a bit more time, but so far we’ve managed none!

Yeah, I pay WP the money to get rid of the ads – I don’t mind actually, they provide a wonderful service, and I’m much happier knowing how they actually make their money, rather than having it taken from me in some sneaky way. Your quilt is very beautiful, but can I just ask – did you hand knit all that amazing fair isle (is that the right word) on the cardie? Or did you use a knitting machine? I know it’s probably a daft question, but it’s so intricate and even. I used to knit decades ago, and I could never manage all the balls of wool..

• Anne @GtSlamseysFarm says:

The fair isle is hand knitted. I used to knit a lot, abandoned it for about fifteen years and then started again (the story of my life – a bit all or nothing). There’s only two colours in each row so I can manage that; any more and I end up wound up in a tangle of wool.