apple pressing 2013

Instructions went out to the family last week for apples to be collected for our Apple Pressing Day and by yesterday we had a good collection of crab apples, eating apples and cookers from various gardens and fields with a particularly plentiful supply of windfalls, after strong winds on Friday. The apples were washed …

chopping apples for making juiceand chopped

apple pulp for cider making fed into a garden shredder to produce apple pulp

apple press for ciderthat was packed into the press and compressed

making apple juicesometimes with a little extra ballast added to keep the press on the ground

juice flowing from apple pressuntil the apple juice started to run from the press

Some of the apple juice was drunk, some frozen and the rest is fermenting, to be made into cider over the coming weeks. It hasn’t escaped my notice that while my side of the family are more than happy to drink our cider and apple juice, Bill’s side are less keen. In fact his mother was most insistent yesterday that she didn’t need to take any apple juice home. Although our equipment is basic, it’s power washed or sterilised before we start but the juice isn’t pasteurised and apparently it’s the lack of pasteurisation which worries her. On the other hand, I saw one (elderly) person from my family apply the five second rule to a chunk of apple that hit the floor. Maybe that explains the pasteurisation concern.

Pasteurised or not, the apple juice tastes sweet and good so a glassful at lunch today with bacon, egg and a fried leftover pancake* was delicious.

* My mother makes superb (Scotch) pancakes, some of which she brought over for tea yesterday. Day old pancakes, fried in a little bacon fat taste almost as good as fresh pancakes spread with butter and jam.

30 thoughts on “apple pressing 2013

Hi Anne, Every year when I read your posts on making cider I get so jealous. We are lucky to get 10 apples from our trees. There are lots of orchards nearby so we are thinking of asking them whether we can collect their windfalls.

2. Thomasina Tittlemouse says:

How wonderful to be pressing your own apples! You made me smile about the five second rule – what the eye doesn’t see etc etc!!! Clearly your mother-in-law has a beady eye though! Five second rule or no five second rule, and pasteurised, or not, the idea of a glass of freshly pressed apple juice, from one’s own apples sounds blissful and only full of good things! Enjoy every drop – pre and post fermentation! E x

3. andreamynard says:

I agree with your side of the family – we have a 2 second rule in this house. We usually borrow a press from friends (it’s a great game isn’t it) but pressed apples for juice and cider at a village get together in our local pub garden this year. Everybody there was warning about pasteurising too, but either way agree with you, freshly pressed juice from your own apples is completely delicious.

4. jonorman says:

Looks good and we thought of you when watching Countryfile last night with me saying tetchily “we could have been doing that”. Spoke to said elderly person today (she of the dropping and picking up fame) and she couldn’t understand why you made a fuss. Have to agree with her surely the 3 second rule applies when apple pressing?

5. rusty duck says:

I love the taste of apple but hate the texture. Juice (and cider!) therefore perfect for me. I’m often used as ballast too. It’s beginning to get personal.

Goodness, has it been a year already? You’ve got the nannas hard at work, Anne! But it looks like everyone had fun, and it’s so cool to make your own cider. Question though – if your MIL won’t drink your cider this year, how will you determine how alcoholic it is? 😉

Hi Anne, you know I love any sort of community/family food making event! This looks fantastic. I am not really into cider but I can imagine your homemade version is delicious. Your equipment looks like our equipment…basic, outdoors and rather heavy duty! A lack of pasteurisation just adds character in my opinion.

Those Scotch pancakes sound perfect after a big day making apple things!

8. sally says:

Love the idea of using a garden mulcher for beating the apples into submission. Is your cider flat or fizzy? When I was in the UK earlier this year it seemed that every country pub we went to had a cider that was made “just five miles down the road”. I tried lots of it wanting to like it and drink locally but on the whole it was a bit rough, warm and flat and I found myself keen to drink something cold and fizzy and commercially produced with some element of quality control! Apart from anything else I was amazed (and impressed) that pubs were allowed to sell something local and individual (and in some cases really bad) in this age of over regulation.

• Anne @ Life in Mud Spattered Boots says:

Our local pub sells cider produced by small scale cider making firms, some of which is delicious and some that I’ve vowed never to drink again. It’s good that there’s such a wide range and presumably what I hate, somebody else loves.
      We usually make sparkling cider, though sometimes we make still; the good thing about making our own is that we can make it to our taste – well, we try to, though we get a good one more by luck than judgement.

9. Jas@AbsolutelyJas says:

The 5 second rule definitely applies in my house! I adore sparkling apple cider, how fabulous to be able to make your own and to have everyone involved!

I love the picture of the apple juice pouring out. Some people are funny about the pasteurization but I can imagine how good that juice must taste & wouldn’t be worried about pasteurization myself.

11. Gerard says:

I like making apple wine at home and I like to ferment apple cider that I buy at a local cider mill. I also make mead.

I enjoyed your photo essay.

It’s not necessary to pasteurize everything. Good sanitation is very important.

12. knitsofacto says:

I can assure you that I’d have no trouble relieving you of either juice or cider. I’m a Somerset girl, I know not to enquire too closely into what makes it into the stuff that’s pressed on the farm. Enquiring how much for a demijohn is much more my style 😉