the end of November

This week …

how to buy a fabulous Christmas tree

We start our shift from farmers to retailers and enter “Christmas Tree Mode”.

Farm machinery is taken out of the barn and replaced with row upon row of Christmas trees.

Large Christmas trees are cut down and delivered to shops, churches and community spaces.

The local nursery school makes their annual visit to choose a Christmas tree that they watch “Farmer Wheaton” cut down and carry back to the farmyard.

I realise that I haven’t bought a single Christmas present and deliberate between two equally unrealistic notions; can I buy everything on my non-existent list in one quick dash to the shops tomorrow or shall I make something for everyone this year?

Secretly, this week I long to turn the page on the calendar to December.

23 thoughts on “the end of November

This is really amazing Anne! How old are the trees? Do you put them into pots before selling them? I love your how-to-choose information. Good luck with your Christmas making or shopping or both!

Anne, this is absolutely wonderful what a joyous post to read! Hooray for Christmas! I love your well-written guide, wish there was something like that here and we might never have ended up with a plastic tree! Please, please show us your wreaths as well! xx

3. andreamynard says:

Lovely post. Feeling Christmassy after family visit to Santa’s grotto and ice-skating yesterday (my Mum’s 64th birthday, what a splendid choice!) but woefully behind on presents, of the bought or made variety.

Love the Christmas tree choosing guide & while I am sure it’s going to be hard work manning Christmas tree sales over the next month somehow the idea of spending days among that wonderful evocative smell and all the associations that come with it appeals a lot! Fancy a helper? If I lived round the corner, I’d be up for it! And like you, I am looking forward now to it being December and having carte blanche to make and bake for Christmas although I have already given in to that slightly here! E x

• Anne @ Life in Mud Spattered Boots says:

The first few days when we go into the barn, the smell is wonderful but then we just get used to it. Customers walk in and stop to breathe in but we just don’t smell it any more! Christmas trees are a wonderful thing to sell as it’s often the start of Christmas for many families who come here every year – we watch the children grow up and now some of them bring their own children which makes me feel very old. I wish you lived nearer – helpers always welcomed!

5. thegardendeli says:

I’ll need to take note of your guide to finding the perfect tree… the ceiling height is the one I always forget to allow for – my son’s homemade angel spent a whole Christmas with her head squashed a couple of years ago!

Great tips on the trees. We’ll be getting ours soon but I have to say I’ve been sort of pushing for an artificial tree (I know, I know…terrible). I do love the real trees and don’t even mind the mess so much but I finally realized after all these years of being allergic to them when they’re outside, that dragging them into the house doesn’t stop me from being allergic just because it’s Christmas. Oh well, I’ll give on this and just take antihistamines.