my commute

Yesterday I helped Beth on the Slamseys Drinks stand at an agricultural show.

It took an hour and a half to drive there and made us very grateful that our normal commute to work consists of

orchardstrolling through the orchard

ducks preeningpast the ducks as they preen themselves at the side of the pond

duck shakingand have a little shake

pig sleepingleaning over the fence to say hello to the two pigs, who lead a busy life

DesmondDesmond, the Gloucestershire Old Spots pig

Nelsonand his brother Nelson

(named after Peace-keepers this year as opposed to famous Dictators in previous years)

We know which is which, because Desmond has two black spots, one on each ear

raspberriesand when we arrive at work, after a minute’s commute,

we have the taxing job of picking raspberries in the sunshine.

A post that I shall look back on in November, when we’re out picking sloes with freezing fingers and scratched, cut hands.

18 thoughts on “my commute

1. Jenny says:

You make it sound so idyllic! I thought my 20 min walk was a pretty good commute (certainly much better than getting in a car – the traffic is more predictable on pavements!) but yours tops it by a long way.

I like your normal commute without a doubt! I get ready to jump out when I’m in a car for more than 30 minutes. Ooooh, raspberries are ready? My very favorite.
    It doesn’t look like the pigs are very stressed – must be they like their life just fine too.

3. Julie says:

This sounds an idyllic start to your day, our Autumn raspberries are fruiting already, I think its going to be a good fruit year. Desmond and Nelson, look an easy going pair!

4. Anny says:

Give Desmond and Nelson a rub on the ear on your next commute – a daily chat with a pig is missing from my life at the moment 🙂

5. My Kitchen Witch says:

I love your commute! And, of course, the job isn’t bad either. Raspberries are looking good this year. Did you eat as many as you picked? One of the perks of picking raspberries.

6. SmallP says:

Oooh now that is my kind of commute! The only way it could be even better would be if there was a little naughty cream to go with the raspberries 😉

7. knitsofacto says:

Now that is my kind of commute. Mine is even shorter at the moment … one flight of stairs … so sadly I’ve no chance to commune with a pig on the way.

8. andreamynard says:

What a lovely commute. Bet the hold-ups are terrible when it’s rush hour for those ducks though.

9. cityhippyfarmgirl says:

ah, I can almost feel the warm sun on my back with this post. Sun is shining here too, but the wind is cutting to the marrow this morning….I’m off to dream of raspberries now.