making scones

Celia has declared this week to be International Scone Week 2014 (you can read here why it’s been declared), so everyone is jumping to it and baking scones as if they’re all housewives in gingham aprons from the 1950s.

Scones are the one thing that so often disappoint when eaten outside the home; they can be dry and tasteless, served with a mean little foil wrapped butter pat and a miniscule helping of jam encased in plastic. The point of a scone is that it should either be light and airy, serving purely as a vehicle for an enormous spoonful of rich, clotted cream topped with jam or should contain copious quantities of cheese and be eaten warm from the oven, slathered in butter.

The recipe I use for scones is scribbled on a scrap of paper and I know not of its provenance, though I think it’s just the basic recipe that everyone starts with.

Put 225g plain flour and 2tsp baking powder into a bowl with a pinch of salt and rub in 60g butter. Add a couple of spoonsful of ‘on the turn cream’ (you know, the dregs that sit in the bottom of the carton just outside the sell-by date but not yet mouldy) or if you don’t keep that sort of thing in your fridge, then yoghurt will suffice. Stir in enough milk to make a soft but not sticky dough, turn onto a floured surface and gently pat into a round that’s three or four centimetres thick. Cut into six wedges, brush the tops with milk and bake for 10 – 12 minutes at 220C. Wrap in a tea towel and leave to cool on a wire rack.

Apparently the trick with scones is to get them from bowl to oven as quickly as possible, with as little handling as you can manage. If I was Glenda, then I’d probably experiment to see if these words of wisdom carry any weight along with all the other old wives tales surrounding the making and baking of scones, some of which Liz writes about here.

cheese and courgette scones

Though these are the scones I bake most often, it seemed a bit tame to make plain scones for International Scone Week. As you may know, in the garden we have an abundance of courgettes so it was but a simple and logical step to incorporate them into the scone recipe. Just before I added the milk, I mixed in 70g of grated courgette, some snipped chives and 40 g cubed feta cheese. I would have used cheddar but we had some feta that needed to be finished. Such is life.

It’s a recipe that I shall be repeating and though I wouldn’t bother buying a courgette especially to make them, it’s a very good way to use up surplus courgettes. In fact, the only drawback is that it just used one courgette and not half a dozen.

Anyone can join in with International Scone Week. Share your scones on your blog or one of the other places where everyone shares things. Find out more at Fig Jam & Lime Cordial.

27 thoughts on “making scones

1. thelandroverownerswife says:

I love scones but they are a ‘Rayburn on’ food in our house because they aren’t as good when done on the BBQ – I’ve tried 🙂

The Mudlets love them and I often make them as a quick treat or snack when the Rayburn is running 🙂

2. rusty duck says:

Delish.
    The trouble is I can never remember which way is Devon and which way is Cornish… is it jam on top or cream on top? People get so sensitive about these things down here.

3. theclevercarrot says:

Lovely! Great idea with the courgette- I had a laugh when you said it only took 1! T’is the season! I’m going to make some courgette, ginger and raisin tea loaves soon (when my oven is up and running!) x

4. Jenny says:

Surely the answer to your “it only uses one courgette” problem is simply to make more scones?! We go for the dense with cheese and hot from the oven variant on a Sunday after church, mmm, mouth watering just thinking about it!

5. Christina says:

Exactly the recipe I use (minus the courgettes). I am convinced that my scones are the best by far in this part of the world…. but my husband thinks his are. I like mine really big and served straight from the oven with generous amounts of butter and jam, or sometimes honey. Shame I am trying to loose some flab or else I would be baking.

Hi Anne, I always have left over cream in the fridge. I buy cream when guests are coming and then feel to guilty (and fat) to finish it off. Next time I will use it to make your scones.

Love your allusion to the ubiquitous dregs of cream on the cusp of going off! Always one of those cartons in my fridge! Your scones look fabulous! Love the idea of adding courgette and feta to make savoury versions. Going to try it! although my courgettes for some reason have failed miserably this year so using only one is just fine with me! E x

8. heidiannie says:

I love savory scones as much as cream scones- perhaps even a little bit more, actually! Cheddar cheese and diced bacon are my favorites with a dash of cayenne pepper- but the courgette and feta sound delish as well! Thanks so much for sharing!

9. cveggie says:

What a coincidence! I’ve made my first ever scones today and they were so yummy that we nearly finished them all in one go (which worked out at about 3-4 scones each!).

10. Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe says:

Love your recipe and your scones – once yo have a good basic recipe you can make any sort of scones – which is the fun of it but sometimes a plain scone with jam and cream is just what you need and I think you have nailed the reason fresh will triumph over any added flavours

11. Annie says:

Addressing the question at the end of your more recent post … I now know what to do part of my part of someone else’s glut that has come my way. We have a lot of scone baking to do for a local cream tea that’s coming up … cheesy courgette scones anyone?

I knew you’d have a great scone recipe & can attest to the inability to buy a good scone – at least over here in the States. Yours definitely look much better than the hard chunks we get over here which is why I love looking at all the possibilities for different types of scones.