in my kitchen – October

Autumn activities for Slamseys Art have kicked off in The Barley Barn with a taxidermy workshop tutored by the super talented Elle Kaye, mono-printing and screen-printing workshops and a new exhibition  featuring Aboriginal art from Warlukurlangu art centre in Yuendumu. As a consequence, I’ve been spending more time in The Barley Barn, either as student (maybe I’ll show you my stuffed mouse one day), tutor or cook. Today Ruth has been running a printing workshop so I’ve been in The Barley Barn kitchen.

In my other kitchen …

Essex huffer

leek and potato soup

spartan and sunset apples

shortbread

… making a light lunch for the printmakers. An Essex huffer to eat with leek and potato soup made with leeks and potatoes from the garden; Spartan and Sunset apples picked from the trees near The Barley Barn and shortbread fingers. Enough to fill a gap and quick enough to eat between printing sessions while inks dry.

In my proper kitchen I’ve just cleared the table that was stacked with pork joints and sausages brought back from the butcher. Happy pigs no longer.

As always, I’m linking with Celia from Fig Jam and Lime Cordial, who presides over the In My Kitchen community.

33 thoughts on “in my kitchen – October

1. Francesca says:

Potato and leek soup is one of my favourite comfort food dishes. Yours looks very tasty! The apples look lovely, but my eyes went straight to that enamel bowl with 2 stamped on it . Lust and envy!!!

Leek and potato soup might make an interesting breakfast 🙂 Actually, why don’t we eat soup for breakfast? They were very happy piggies with very curly tails though annoyingly the tails didn’t come back to us with the other joints.

2. lizzygoodthings says:

Hi there Anne, just look at those goodies in your kitchen! I could reach right into that tin and grab a piece of shortbread! Happy cooking, my friend!

3. Margot @ Gather and Graze says:

Oh I’m pleased I watched the video first… before reading that they are no longer! Dear sweet piggies! Love as always to take a peak into what you’ve been up to in your kitchen this month Anne! Can’t wait to see the stuffed mouse! 😉

They were a particularly happy and contented pair of pigs. I’m glad there’s a week’s gap between unloading them at the abattoir and getting back the pork but I’m also content to know that the meat I’m eating had a good life.

4. Kirsty says:

Anne, those Spartan apples look amazing. I had to google them to find out more. How vividly plum coloured they turn with just a simple rub straight off the tree. I must also look into your Essex huffer. I am a fan of the GBBO as well, and yours looks to be a ‘great bake’.

Spartan apples are one of my favourites – a real Snow White apple that’s juicy and full of flavour. I’m a GBBO fan too though this year they seem to have upped the stakes and there’s not much that I’d want to bake, mainly because I don’t have four hours to devote to one cake. Still, I’m happy to watch others do it.

5. Dale says:

Is there anything better than soup and bread? It is one of the reasons Autumn makes me happiest. It becomes soup time for me! Leek and potato are one of our favourites too…

Yes, it is a good thing to know where your food comes from and that it was well taken care of. Next on our list is to have enough property to raise some chickens and pigs! Thank you for sharing.

6. thecompletebook says:

I haven’t made shortbread for the longest time – probably because I can’t help myself and eat far too much.
    Your bread and soup sound like the perfect meal.
    Have a super weekend.
    🙂 Mandy xo

7. theclevercarrot says:

I’m probably a little late on the scene, but what is an Essex huffer? Looks delicious! I want to rip a chunk right off. And completely off subject- do you have a flour preference when it comes to shortbread? I’ve made them both with plain flour and self rising and the latter makes them lovely and light 😉 Happy weekend Anne X

An Essex huffer is a triangular shaped soft bread roll – possibly so called because it’s “half-a-loaf”. I use plain flour but only because I’d never thought to make it with self raising. Maybe I should give it a try.

After a week of chilly temps & rain, rain, rain, that soup with bread looks like just the thing to warm me up. I wish that I lived over there because I would love to be able to go to your workshops. I’ve always wanted to learn to do screen printing. Taxidermy? You don’t see much of that anywhere.

9. ladyredspecs says:

We bought Spartan apples last autumn at the Farmers Mkt and will be looking out for them again. A new and delicious variety for me. Your loaf looks amazing, as always!

Wow Anne, taxidermy, that would be interesting. It sounds like the Barley Barn is a hive of interesting activity. Huffer, shortbread and apples from the orchard…I cant think of better food to fuel creativity and learning! x

11. ElizabethElizabeth says:

That bread looks Devine… I’m still a bread novice and envious of everyone who can make delicious bread!!! I love your happy pigs and that they lived a good health life! Thanks for sharing! Liz x

12. andreamynard says:

What a lovely lunch, nicely simple/wholesome but all home-made and so tempting. Looks perfect for this time of year too.