It’s time to get the Christmas tree

Have you put up your Christmas tree yet?

Across the country, Christmas tree farms are gearing up for one of the busiest weekends for buying a real Christmas tree. In preparation for this busy weekend, our barn has been stacked with Christmas trees, so that we look across a small forest of treetops as customers weave their way between them; there’s mistletoe and wreaths aplenty; the snow globes have been shaken and the shelves filled with decorations, juju hats and gin. We’re all set. Are you?

Here’s five reasons to buy a real Christmas tree this year.

A family tradition
It’s fun to choose a real Christmas tree and for many families, buying the tree is the start of Christmas celebrations as the whole family come to the farm to choose their tree together. We’ve been selling trees here for so long that some of our customers, who we remember coming along as babies with their parents, now arrive with their own children to buy a tree.

The smell
No matter how much pine scented room fragrance you use, nothing beats the gorgeous smell of a real Christmas tree.

Decorating
Decorating the Christmas tree rates as one of the favourite things to do in December and a real Christmas tree has so many branches that the scope for decorating is vast. Some people take it far more seriously than others with many mothers admitting that they let their children decorate the tree but then completely redo it after the children have gone to bed while others banish the family from the room while they decorate it to perfection.

Whether you choose a themed decoration scheme or hang a mismatch of all sorts, there is of course the trauma of the lights not working, baubles smashing and wondering if your teenager will notice that the polystyrene decoration they made as a three year old has mysteriously disappeared.

Fifty shades of green
Christmas trees come in an immense range of green from the bright green of a Norway Spruce to the dark green of a Nordman Fir.

Fresh Christmas trees are grown as a crop, providing a habitat for birds and animals while they’re growing and when they’re cut down they’ll be replaced with more trees. Whether artificial or real trees are more environmentally friendly seems finely balanced so it comes down to personal preference. Would you rather have a bit of PVC standing in the corner of your living room or a magnificent fresh Christmas tree?

The tree that keeps giving
After Christmas, your Christmas tree can be recycled; they’re usually shredded into woodchips that are used for mulches or fuel. Alternatively, buy a container grown tree that can be planted out after Christmas, provided you water it while it’s in the house.

If you’re planning to buy a Christmas tree this weekend, don’t forget to measure up first as trees in a barn or field can look deceptively small.

Read this guide to choosing a Christmas Tree

22 thoughts on “It’s time to get the Christmas tree

1. Jenny says:

We’ve been to the same real tree supplier in Wentwood Forest for the last three years – definitely the start of a special tradition and something we really look forward to now.

Oh it looks so festive at your place Anne. It reminds me that I need to stop baking and gardening and get some decorations happening. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog and for the Twitter love too! I think I would be lost without my blog friends x

Oh yes, it’s not a real Christmas tree unless it’s a REAL Christmas tree! Although we pretty much just have the standard pinus radiata here, it still smells like Christmas!

4. Sarah says:

I love your festive post and totally agree that a real Christmas tree is part of the essence of Christmas for us. Out here we tag our selected tree at the end of November and pick it up a couple of weeks before. Any sooner and it just won’t last in the heat! I’m feeling quite festive now…must make some mincemeat 🙂

We always have a few people who like to tag their tree but they often complain that it looks tiny in the field but massive when it’s in their house. I’m still using 2011 mincemeat – perhaps I’d better check to make sure it hasn’t fermented.

5. Christina says:

We have just finished the Birthday season and I am looking forward to buying a Christmas tree next week. The smell is the best thing ever and we love decorating the singing along to cheesy Christmas songs. I would very much love to visit your Christmas barn! x

6. e / dig in hobart says:

I love the snow drift on your photos!
    I have a small fibre optic tree that sparkles and shimmers. it reminds me of the fibre optic …. THING my nana used to have! we used to have a silver-greeny-blue tinsel tree when I was growing up – so sparkly! probably why I love silver tinsel for Christmas. bit of bling is good when it catches the sunshine!
    merry Christmas anne!

7. theclevercarrot says:

Our tree is up! A fresh one, of course. Nothing beats that beautiful pine smell! And yes, I let my kids decorate/smash the tree. There are all kinds of trains and legos thrown in too. At least we’re authentic.

Merry Christmas, Anne! Your barn looks wonderfully festive x

8. Annie says:

Oh if only! Having too many whippets and not enough places where a tree might stand safely means I’ll be resorting yet again this year to hanging baubles from a giant vase of twiggy stuff from the garden.

9. Brian Skeys says:

We have gone back to a real Christmas tree this year, they are so much better these days.
    Having just found your website you seem to have a very enterprising family, which of course is essential to survive in farming today.

Though most of our customers buy Nordman firs that hang onto their needles pretty well, we’ve gone back to a traditional spruce tree. The smell outweighs the inconvenience of sweeping up a few needles.