why you should eat breakfast

breakfast week

Did you know that it’s Breakfast Week?

Breakfast Week is a campaign run by HGCA every year to raise awareness of the benefits of eating a healthy breakfast and to encourage people to think about where their breakfast food comes from. So, why should we eat breakfast? The NHS says

“Eating breakfast has long term health benefits.  It can reduce obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes.”

Which seems a good enough reason to me. The problem with breakfast is that it needs to be fairly speedy. I’m sure that there are people who enjoy pottering about the kitchen first thing in the morning but for most of us it’s a case of get up, eat and get on with the day. Breakfast becomes no more than a fuel stop as we grab the same thing each morning with perhaps the only variation at weekends when there’s a little more time to linger.

seville orange curd with granola

Breakfast Week jolts me from my routine each January and I try to eat something different each morning instead of automatically reaching for the porridge oats and spurtle. At the weekend I made a batch of granola and instead of just sloshing milk over it we’ve eaten it with yoghurt and different fruit compotes that I froze in the summer. Yesterday we used the last of the Seville Orange Curd to dollop onto a bowl of yoghurt and scattered granola over the top. It was very good, if not the healthiest of breakfasts.
Below is the recipe I use for granola. I like a loose granola rather than hard clumps so I don’t usually add the apple puree, which binds it together a little. I used to add dried fruit to the granola after it had cooled but now I add it in the breakfast bowl so that I can match it to the topping. Somehow eating raisins in granola that’s topped with fresh fruit seems rather strange and anyway some days I feel like raisins and another I might prefer cranberries. I know, I’m fickle.

granola recipe

Are you a breakfast eater?

Do you know where your breakfast food comes from? The story from field to plate of my Eggs on Toast is HERE.

Five more breakfast recipes you might like to try:

19 thoughts on “why you should eat breakfast

1. Dale says:

Just look at those beautiful breakfast options! So lovely.
    I am definitely a breakfast person. Some days a toast with peanut butter and a sliced banana; some days a poached egg in a half an avocado with a sprinkle of cheese and a bit of my salsa. It’s always nice to mix it up some!

• Dale says:

I saw it on Facebook. You just need a big enough half that will hold a cracked egg into it (scooping some out if necessary). I put a slice of cheese, then the egg, bake it at 350°F (180°C) for about 15 mins or so – surprising how long it takes to bake an egg! Then top with salsa…One woud never think warm avocado is so good!

2. Christina says:

I didn’t know it was breakfast week. At the moment I like plain yogurt with banana pieces for my breakfast. I think a spoonful of granola would be a good addition. The teaspoon in your Seville orange curd looks fun. I wonder if it is too late to buy Seville oranges to make some? Have a great weekend.

3. jemills56 says:

Never leave home without it…………may not be as creative as the above but essential to my well being and those who have to deal with me first thing 😉

I love your collage of delicious breakfast things Anne! You have also reminded me about the barberi bread. I couldn’t help but notice that little spoon in your curd, what a lovely, textured handle.

I am a huge granola fan and I make my own using organic oats and preferably dried fruit from local growers. I like to serve it with Greek yoghurt and stewed fruit. I am also a huge fan of Vegemite on toast. I simply cannot function with breakfast.

Like Celia, I am curious about spurtle!

The spoon was a gift from my sister in Australia and I love it.
      How wonderful to use dried fruit from local growers. You can keep your Vegemite though (and Marmite) – Bovril on toast for me 🙂

I love a hearty, warm breakfast but can’t stand the thought of cooking anything early in the morning thus I usually go with some type of muffin and a piece of fruit (not at all creative). Being housebound today with yet another storm though I got a treat of eggs, sausage, and toast cooked by my husband.
    (I was also noticing that spoon – very nice gift).

I love your idea of yoghurt, granola and Seville orange curd. Any citrus curd stirred into yoghurt is yummy I think but this looks extra special. I usually make my own version of instant porridge with whizzed up porridge oats, milk and water zapped in the microwave. Very lazy, I fear. But I’ve been experimenting with a slow-cooked overnight version made with proper oatmeal – it’s rather good. Had to improvise with using a very low ordinary oven temperature as I don’t have a slow-cooker but it worked very well and if you have an Aga or similar I guess the slow oven in that would work a treat. You just put all the ingredients in a cast iron lidded casserole, stir & leave to get on with it. The following morning the house smells fabulous – cinnamon and nutmeg, thank you! – and you just take the pot out of the oven and serve it up with a drizzle of maple syrup or soft brown sugar and a splash of cream. E x

I haven’t had much success with this method – maybe I need to use more liquid. The idea of coming down to a breakfast already cooked is very appealing. Will give it another go.