in my kitchen – February 2015

In My Kitchen this February

jar of kitchen utensils

… is my limited collection of kitchen tools. Many of the IMK writers have an extensive batterie de cuisine that they seem to add to every month while I keep plodding along with the same old bits and pieces. I did however invest in a new turquoise silicone spatula that you can just see at the back of the jar. My original spatula has a wooden handle with silicon scraper, which works very well, but the scraper head came off the other week to reveal a blackened and unappealing wooden end. Even if I wash and dry the handle and head separately, it doesn’t look particularly hygenic. I still use it but it’s been relegated to second place. Incidentally, I was looking closely at the inside of the handle on my Magimix food processor bowl the other day (ie I had my spectacles on when I was washing up) and that looks pretty disgusting. Do you have any tips for keeping it clean?

In my kitchen …

spurtles for stirring porridge

… are spurtles or stirring sticks for making porridge. They’re like wooden spoons without the bowl, usually decorated with a thistle on the end of the handle. Porridge fits in nicely with my morning routine as it simmers and thickens while I make the coffee and lay the table.

In my kitchen …

Jerusalem artichoke crisps

… are Jerusalem artichoke crisps with lemon and rosemary salt. It’s an inspired way of using Jerusalem artichokes from Emilie even if the kitchen does smell of frying for the rest of the day. Emilie left the skin on her artichokes, but as ours are caked in dirt that’s difficult to completely remove from all the crevices, I peeled them (they look prettier with the skin left on). Emilie’s instructions are here at The Clever Carrot.

In my kitchen …

from the kitchen window February 2015

… the recurring view from my kitchen window as flurries of snow descend. This has happened a few times in the past few weeks but instead of the snow settling on the ground, the day has turned dark and gloomy and the snow changed to sleety rain. Never mind, it’s pretty for a few minutes.

Once again, I’m joining in with Celia’s In My Kitchen series at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial as we tour the world to see what everyone has in their kitchen this month. If you have the time, check out some of the different blogs that are listed on Celia’s page.

45 thoughts on “in my kitchen – February 2015

1. rusty duck says:

We woke up to a dusting of snow as well this morning, but as soon as the sun came up it was gone. Jerusalem artichoke crisps do look rather moreish, I dread to think of the aftereffect of eating too many.

2. Christina says:

I don’t buy much for my kitchen either. We were given a spurtle for our wedding (what a great name for a kitchen utensil) and we used it most days until I thought it would make a useful tool to plant bulbs…. I did of course break it. No tips for Magimixes I’m afraid, sold ours years ago.

3. Emilie @ The Clever Carrot says:

Ah, the chips look lovely Anne! Glad you found use for those Jerusalem artichokes; they’re perfectly golden. It’s snowing here too. We’ve had just about 2 ft. and expect another 6-8 inches today. I’m liking your view better than mine 🙂 Enjoy the weekend!

2 foot of snow sounds lovely but only if I didn’t have to go anywhere or do any work outside apart from make snowmen. Thanks for sharing your artichoke recipe; it’s always good to have something else to do with them apart from soup and puree.

4. lizzygoodthings says:

Hi Anne! There’s that beautiful view of your garden again, I love that so much! It’s so cold here in Canberra, Australia right now that I think the chill might be coming from the US and UK! Love the new (?) look of your site… and those wonderful cook’s tools that you so treasure. I have several like those too. Spurtles were much sought after when I had the cookware store… thank you for the peek into your kitchen… Peter and I will be visiting your part of the world later this year. So looking forward to it! xo

5. Ania @ Milk, Toast and Honey says:

Hello Anne, no snow for us here in Hampshire as yet! I am very intrigued by the spurtles, I have never seen them before but they seem like a very good idea – hot porridge is our go to breakfast on a cold winter mornings here! Thanks for sharing.

6. MamaD1xx4xy says:

What a beautiful view from your kitchen, despite the cold weather. Those artichoke crisps sound wonderful. I don’t have as many utensils as some IMK bloggers as I don’t have room for them all. Plates and bowls are another story though!

7. Nancy |Plus Ate Six says:

What a gorgeous view from your kitchen – so different from mine. I find I use the same 5 utensils all the time too. My plastic spoons have burnt handles but they still work so I keep them…. I do like the look of your artichoke chips with lemon and rosemary salt.

I love your no nonsense utensil artillery Anne! The spurtle mystery is solved, they look very useful. How about Bovril? Another mystery for this Aussie reader 🙂

Your kitchen window looks like it should be in a country magazine or on a postcard. Happy cooking to you.

Bovril is like vegemite except it’s beef based. You’re supposed to make it into a hot beefy drink, which sounds fairly revolting, but in my family we always spread it on bread.

9. My Kitchen Witch says:

Love the spurtles. Those chips are, indeed, an inspiration. I never know what to do with Jerusalem artichokes. We still have snow on the ground here, but we are a bit further north than you. More, I think expected in the next day or two!

This is why I love the IMK posts and also why I spend all day going off researching things I read that are interesting…like Jerusalem artichoke. Here I’m reading about you making chips from them and I’ve never really heard about them other than the name in passing only to find out that they’re plentiful in the States. They probably are in the stores but I can’t say that I’ve ever noticed them.
    And spurtles – I’m pretty sure that I threw a couple of them away when we cleared out my mother’s house because I had no idea what they were & couldn’t think of a purpose for them. Now, I look at yours & think they’re very cool.
    I love the view outside your window (better than mine). The raised beds make gardening so much easier & it looks like you’ve got a bench over to the side to sit and zen out while watching your garden grow.

I fear I’ve thrown away potentially useful things too; maybe we need a website where we can post a photo and ask “Before I throw this out – what is it and what do I do with it?”. Might get some interesting answers.
      The bench is actually a water trough that we’ve turned over for the winter but we should put in a bench.

11. ardysez says:

I admire your selective and, obviously, very useful set of tools. I am at a point in my cooking career when I don’t care to add much to my collection, although belonging to this collective of keen cooks has let me astray a couple of times!! Spring won’t be long coming now, hang in there Anne! Thanks for sharing your kitchen activities with us.

12. Jenny says:

We don’t add to our kitchen that often either, though did get a lovely set of knives for christmas which has been great. Thanks for another lovely gentle IMK.

13. Fiona Ryan (@TIFFINbitesized) says:

I love that you have a 2nd best spatula. I’m still using a potato masher that I retrieved from my then boyfriend’s (now husband) camping equipment 20 years ago. I have a spurtle but can’t stand porridge. I’ve tried but it’s not for me. The spurtle is great though for polenta (a kind of porridge as you know).

You know, any month that we get a look at your walled garden with my imagined rolling fields behind them is a good month! Are they leeks you’ve got planted in the front beds? They’re sturdy to hold up to the snow! And hey, you now know my views on spurtles.. 😉

15. missfoodfairy says:

Loving all your kitchen utensils, they look great! Your Jerusalem artichoke crisps look fantastic – were these done in a dehydrator, oven or frypan? See you next month for IMK

16. Kim Bultman says:

Anne, your turquoise spatula is a cheery addition to your “batterie de cuisine.” I tend to favor old stand-by’s too, but recently a cranberry colored spatula (or two) found their way into the old guard. (Or recently replaced guard! 😉 I’d never heard of spurtles… might be on the lookout for one in the future… wonderful idea. I also love your snowy garden photo and hope your plants survived the startle!