Turning out coat pockets

5 things in my pocket

The weather yesterday was miserable. It was grey and wet with the wind blowing enough to make the doors in the house bang and creak if they weren’t properly shut. While I was outside, my coat (which was not waterproof and therefore not a good choice) got a bit damp and muddy so I thought I’d wash it. Turning out the pockets, I discovered I keep some fairly useless things in them.

1  One and a half pairs of fingerless mittens. The whereabouts of the missing mitten unknown. The cable knit mittens are made from gorgeously soft Alpaca yarn

2  One and a half dog biscuits. Judging by the detritus at the bottom of my pocket, I suspect the other half is lodged there in pieces.

3  A piece of Christmas tree that must have fallen into my pocket during December. Please note that it still retains its needles. Those Nordman Firs are very good.

4  37 pence in mixed coins. Not enough to buy a second class postage stamp. Or a Sherbet Fountain. Or an hour in the car park. Just enough for an orange. Or a doughnut. Or a miniscule Curly Wurly.

5  Various pieces of broken china and glass. I picked these up ages ago thinking they’d be good for a mosaic. I’ve never made a mosaic and don’t know how to. I don’t particularly like mosaics. I have no idea why the thought of making one even entered my head.

hat and eggs

And five things in my hat. Gorgeous yellow yolked eggs from my hens. They’re not in my pockets because that would be silly. I’ve put them in my pocket in the past and forgotten about them with blindingly obvious consequences. My children think my hat makes me look like a batty old woman but it keeps my head warm and doubles as an egg collecting receptacle so I shall keep it, despite their mocking.

What do you keep in your coat pockets?

40 thoughts on “Turning out coat pockets

1. sophiezest says:

Gosh, the colour of those dark eggs! My coat pockets aren’t bad (just a Metro ticket) but the backpack I use for work is a disgrace: random cutlery from packed lunches, the odd tangerine (going mouldy), scraps of paper with ‘important’ messages on them, coins, etc. etc.

My new hens are laying the most fantastic deep coloured eggs. I confess I discarded all the scraps of paper – I’m sure the phone numbers are registration numbers were important when I wrote them down.

2. Julie says:

This brought a smile to my face this morning Anne, I am sure my pockets would have similar useful items, especially the dog biscuits! Your hat is rather nice too.

3. Grannymar says:

I could go a couple of those eggs right now!

In the pocket of every coat or jacket I possess, you will find a packet of tissues. When I go out the other pocket will have my mobile phone, GTN spray, and a purse with the keys attached and in the compartments cash, cards painkillers, stamps and a typed sheet with my medical information, next of kin etc.

4. Jane ~ EarthAppleJane says:

Dear Anne, you’ve made me laugh out loud tonight! Everything I have ever lost will be found one day in one of my numerous pockets. Your eggs are a delight…we just have two chooks with eggs of a medium browny hue, not like these…such variety. But don’t scoff when it comes to mosaics…I have been saving my broken china or whatever it is these days, since we came here 35 yaaars ago. I have this cunning plan to make a mosaic one day and I don’t want you to deter me. In fact I think I could inspire you to do the same?

5. Amy at love made my home says:

For some reason I am not a pocket filler, but if you looked in my handbag, or any of the baskets or containers that are placed around my various workplaces you would find all sorts of things!! I amaze myself with what I find, so the contents of your pockets are pretty ordinary really! I do have to say though that I don’t think I have ever found a piece of Christmas tree in my handbag! That is a new one to me!! Glad that you have a way to keep the eggs safe though that isn’t in your pocket!! xx

I think most of us have somewhere we deposit things don’t we? I should really get a basket for collecting the eggs but I know I’d leave it in the kitchen when I go to do the hens.

6. Carole says:

I did laugh when I saw the dog biscuits! I have them in most pockets in various stages of decomposition but they are very useful when we find a stray dog roaming and we don’t want to leave it to its own devices in the middle of a road. Random dog biscuits save the day. Love your eggs too – do I see Cream Legbar eggs there?

I’m planning to try your Raspberry Cake this weekend. 🙂

7. Dale says:

My pockets definitely do not hold such interesting paraphernalia. My purse, however? That is a totally different story! Other than used tissues (those times where no wastebaskets are around) and keys and an extra pair of thin gloves (so I don’t freeze my hands off when walking the dog and taking pictures – very difficult to focus wearing ski mitts!)

Those eggs! Oh, my late husband and I were in the planning stages of finding property in the country so we could have a few hens and a large garden before he passed away. Don’t know if I’m ready or willing to do it on my own – the boys will be leaving the nest soon enough…

If only I could remember to take the used tissues out of my trouser pockets before I put them in the wash. A big step for a move like that, together or alone. Do you think that sometimes it feels good to hold a dream, whether the chances of it happening are realistic or not?

• Dale says:

Oh tell me about it! I never “do” pockets before the wash, much to my chagrin!

I think that dreaming is definitely good. We had a lot of them and were still not sure which direction we wanted to go in. (Which is probably why nothing got done!) Like everyone, we thought we had more time… life doesn’t always go according to plan ~ which is not always a bad thing. It’s only been two months so I’m still numb. But the dreams are still lurking which I take to be a good sign!

8. Cecilia Mary Gunther says:

Fantatic, in my two pockets there are bits of hay and straw, old glass, 4 nails, a screw, my old nursing scissors for cutting anything, phone, pen, a 1’4 of apple I forgot to give to sheila this morning John’s grandfather pocket knife, and a.. Wait.. I found my lens cap, i was looking for that!! love love c

9. ehpyle says:

I must confess that I don’t know what a Curly Whurly is… how intriguing! Also I can see why you saved the broken china and glass – they’re pretty and owuld make a lovely mosaic. I do the same thing – save things for something I’ll never make and never enve really wanted to make.

10. rusty duck says:

Mostly paper, old tickets, those one page maps and guides that NT places give out, scraps of paper with measurements on for various bits of wood, plant labels.. and a metal nut with no known home.

11. Christina says:

Last time I checked I had dog biscuits, dog poo bags, a sweetie wrapper, headphones and an old wet wipe in my pockets. There is an ever changing selection of useful things and detritus in all my pockets. Funny things, mosaics. I once bought an entire bag full of glass pieces to make one. I never did of course. I would put your mosaic pieces in my dessert bowl full of sea glass and pebbles I think.

12. Kipper says:

Speaking from experience, use flat, not curved bits of china to make mosaics. Much easier to work with, looks better. All coat pockets contain dog biscuits. Casual jackets also may have extra “poopy” bags, tissue, cell phone, keys and if it is yard sale season-the wallet. The dog has been trained to have good yard sale (boot sale) manners. I may have her wear a doggy backpack this summer so she can carry small purchases. Items may be decreased if the jacket has small pockets. Dress coat has dog biscuits, gloves and tissue. Curly Whurlys’ sound delectable.

13. fergie51 says:

Love this post! My friends at school used to call me scout as I always had something that could be used whenever needed. Always prepared they said. These days its usually, tissues, lolly wrappers, seed and any litter I’ve picked up. Love if when I find a $20.00 note I’d forgotten about 🙂

I always figure that having one glove and one warm hand is better than none so I always hang on to my one-sies. Sometimes I even find the other glove in a different coat. I always have dog cookies too but mine are jumbo sized. I also have plenty of Kleenex which hopefully I remember to take out before tossing the jacket in the laundry 😦
    I love your little bits & pieces of glass & never would have passed them up if I’d seen them. You should see what I come home with after a day at the beach!

You’re right about the gloves. I reckon I can keep one hand in my pocket if I’ve only got one glove. Things washed up on the beach are too much of a temptation to leave behind.

15. e / dig in hobart says:

i am very sad at the loss of that beautiful fair isle mitten. so pretty. and now its mate is single.
    my pockets usually have hankies and bits of dried lavendar heads, from when i have walked past a bush and pulled off a pungent head.

16. Annie says:

Your pockets are not unlike mine, although I do seem to have a full set of mitts (2×2). There’s no cash in mine, but I do have some alder cones, a feather, and recently there was one piece of blue and white pottery that I was thinking I might wire into a pendent. Yesterday I stuffed my pockets with dried up old oak leaves but those are in a dye pot now.

I keep hoping that soon I won’t need any mitts but it’s turned colder again. You’re very quick to use your oak leaves; I’m sure they’d have stayed forgotten in my pocket for at least a week. Dyeing to see them appear in one of your posts.