Simple pleasures

Making time for simple pleasures …

scones and jam

Baking scones. One of the easiest and quickest things to bake. Less than ten minutes to get everything weighed out, mixed and in the oven. Another ten or fifteen minutes in the oven and they’re on the plate. Almost as quick as wrestling open a packet of biscuits with their annoying little Open Here tag.

library books

Making the most of my library card. Our local library has reduced its hours as part of the cutbacks and I wonder how long the council will consider it viable. It’s the best thing about our town, so it would be a terrible shame to lose it. Currently I am between fiction books so Bill offered me some of his – I could choose from Dead Man’s Land, A Time to Kill or The Dying Hours. Hmmm. A bit of a theme running through those titles.

enjoying the late afternoon un

Sitting for five minutes on the back doorstep with a cup of tea. Time enough to enjoy the late afternoon sunshine and listen to the birdsong. And just long enough to realise that there’s a lot to do in the garden.

bedroom

Making the bed with sheets that have hung outside on the washing line to blow dry in the spring sunshine. So much better than winter sheets dried above the boiler with their faint whiff of kerosene.

Slamseys Strawberry Gin with mouse

Deciding how to drink my Strawberry Gin. I know, it’s a tough life.

Happy Friday, friends (to borrow Jane’s phrase).

32 thoughts on “Simple pleasures

1. Christina says:

Lovely, just lovely. I like the look from your doorstep, I can imagine feeling rested after just a few minutes. Sheets dried in the sun is still a dream here. Ours have a whiff of cooking on them because they dry on the banister next to the kitchen door. Beautiful quilt! Have a great weekend.

2. Dale says:

What a perfect day! I am all for slowing down and enjoying the little things…
    That quilt is simply gorgeous (I will, one day, attempt to make one. Of course I must learn how to sew first… ;-))
    I cannot wait to dry my sheets on the line; as it is now, they would drag in the everlasting snow I have in my backyard…

Love this post Anne! Love those scones, perfect! I hope your library remains open. They are wonderful places aren’t they. I hardly buy magazines anymore, they all come from the library and I don’t have to think about what to do with them when I have finished with them.

That neatly made bed looks so inviting! Your little bottles of alcohol are impressive, love that label x

I hope our library stays open too. Loads of people I know don’t use the library, which I find amazing. My mother-in-law recently had a big clear out of books and having shifted hundreds of them for her, I rather wish my father-in-law had made better use of the library instead of buying so many books.

4. arlingwoman says:

I’m a sucker for simple pleasures. They’re just there for the taking if you see them! And one of mine was that guinea feather in your gin picture. I had no idea there was strawberry gin. What does it taste like and how do you imbibe it?

5. Brian Skeys says:

We could do with help baking scones for the open garden, I would help you drink the Strawberry Gin in exchange!
    It is easy to overlook the simple pleasures that are all around us especially if we have a garden.

6. Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe says:

Oh lovely – scones are so much nicer than biscuits. Sad to hear about the reduction in hours by your library – we use ours a lot – it allows us to read lots of books to sylvia that we would not otherwise expose her to and we are always making great discoveries there. It is scary to think libraries might not be about in the same way when she is adult.

Libraries have changed so much haven’t they? Thankfully, books are still the main thing in ours, though the shelves of DVDs seem to take more space than ever. I do feel a bit of a grumpy old woman when I’m trying to choose my books and I trip over pushchairs to get in and then have to listen to non-stop Wheels on the Bus and other songs. Must remember to avoid Wednesday pre-school singing morning.

7. Emily Grace says:

Hi Anne!

I’ve so enjoyed the spring time wonderful in these last three posts.

I’m with you on the back stoop, tea in hand, enjoying and then realizing the garden speaks. I trimmed a few things yesterday. They were probably supposed to be trimmed last fall. I care not. Anything in my garden must have a will to live that defies proper pruning schedules.

I’ll let you know if my rhubarb made it. I never got around to mulching it well before the cold, however, we did not have as cold of a winter this year…we had plenty of snow, but no 40 below days this year. Fingers crossed for rhubarb!

Love your new blog look with the blue-green on the home page bar. I can’t recall if it was like that last month when I disappeared. No matter. It’s lovely – inviting and interesting.

Best,
    Emily Grace

Thanks for dropping by. Once I’ve got a pair of shears in my hand, I just trim everything. Hope the rhubarb makes it – must go out to the garden to see if mine has started to push through.

8. e / dig in hobart says:

I too love air and sunshine dried sheets. We are heading into the coler darker months, and the opportunities for laundry-on-the-line are diminishing.
    I love my local library – it’s right nextto my workplace, so i go most days!
    Enjoy your snail gin 🙂