in my kitchen – September 2015

September already! The month that seems ingrained with memories of stiff shiny shoes and freshly sharpened pencils ready for the new school year or of listening to the radio announcing the first day of spring as we cruised down the Hawkesbury River in Australia on honeymoon. When I say we, I don’t mean with my husband as he was at home in the middle of harvest. This wasn’t our honeymoon but my sister’s. The bride with her new husband on a small boat together with his mother-in-law, two sisters-in-law and four small children. We fished, we sang and danced to songs from the Jungle Book, played French skipping and at night the honeymoon couple slept on the kitchen table. Happy days.

runner beans

Nowadays September means picking and dealing with fruit and vegetables from the garden that are slowly heading towards glut proportions. I can just about keep up with the runner beans if I cook half and freeze half each time I pick them. Too many courgettes have already grown enormous and I swear another tomato ripens every time I walk by.

jam jar labels

The pantry shelves are slowly filling with jams, chutneys, fruit vinegars and pickles. This year I’ve decided to use big clear labels so that I can see the oldest jars without having to climb on a chair to peer at tiny labels. Despite my best efforts to store everything in a logical order, there’s always the odd jar that slips to the back for a year or two three four five.

spiced crab apple recipe

Spiced crab apples are a favourite in my kitchen, mainly because they’re so easy and they make a wonderful accompaniment to a slice or two of cold ham. Also it seems such a waste that the tree is loaded with fruit each year and we end up throwing most of the crab apples onto the compost heap.

discovery apple

The Discovery apples are ripening fast. They aren’t my favourite variety but it will be a while until the Sunset and Cox are ready so they fill the gap. This week we’ve been eating them with dark treacle cake, which makes a sort of toffee apple combination and grating them into a rather boring dusty muesli (that I won’t make the mistake of buying again).

Once again, I’m joining in with Celia’s In My Kitchen series at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial as we tour the world to see what everyone has in their kitchen this month. If you have the time, check out some of the different blogs that are listed on Celia’s page.

Instructions for Hand Printed Labels

32 thoughts on “in my kitchen – September 2015

1. Gerlinde says:

I’m a little envious of all your vegetables and fruits. Do you make tomato sauce with some of your tomatoes? I enjoyed your honeymoon story. Your brother-in-law must have some good stories to tell, sleeping on the kitchen table with the brides family on the same boat. 😃

2. Jan says:

Anne, there is a lovely recipe for roasted parsnip and apple salad on Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s book ‘Light and Easy’. From memory I think it can also be made with plums and carrots. It’s quite delicious.

Oh those days on the Hawkesbury River must have been memorable Anne! Those beans look so green and delicious. Spiced crab apples sound lovely. Dusty muesli…what a perfect description, I always regret buying it too.

Muesli looks enticing in the pack but can be so dreary sometimes. Soon be autumn and time to switch to porage. The Hawkesbury River trip was over twenty years ago, but I still think about it every 1st of September.

We just ate apples alongside the treacle cake but there’s definitely a recipe to be devised that incorporates them. The labels are home printed (which is why they’re slightly too big).

4. Johanna @ Green Gourmet Giraffe says:

Sounds like a lovely honeymoon – though I am a bit worried the table would be a bit hard to sleep on – surely Australia could offer better bed options 🙂

And your glut of produce sounds wonderful to me because we don’t have gluts in my garden – am sure it is not quite so wonderful to you until you sit down to supper and find you have what you need in the pantry.

Hi Anne, Good to hear you are have a summer glut. It wouldn’t be summer without it 🙂 It feels good not to have any tomatoes at the moment. I am a bit scared to put in any seeds though … I am sure I will. BTW Have all the berries finished?

6. fergie51 says:

Such a lovely share Anne! Sounds like a great honeymoon! Crab apples are so pretty and colour is so intense. I wish I knew someone with one I could raid. LOVE those labels, did you make a stamp or are they printed? Cheers, Maree!

Now that’s a honeymoon that you don’t read about every day. It sure sounds like a great time although I’m not sure about sleeping on the table.
    My parents always had a huge garden, although I’m sure not anywhere as large as what you have and I can remember my mother canning and freezing non- stop this time of year. Just when I thought she’d preserved everything, she’d find something else. I remember her making some kind of jelly with choke cherries from a couple trees that were technically on the neighbor’s property. She couldn’t stand to see anything go to waste.