primroses growing on the bank

On The Farm in March

winter tree

Spring is surely lurking just around the corner. The trees still look wintry but the primroses are starting to flower, littering the banks of the ditches with their dainty pale yellow flowers. We’re taunted with bright sunny days when jackets are unzipped and flap open only to step outside the next day and instantly reach for a hat to jam over our ears as the chill wind blows.

farm puddle

On the farm, the spring work is just beginning. The sprayer and fertiliser spreader have been out this week, though some of the fields are still too wet to run on and puddles still stand on the track.

digging holes in concrete

In the farm yard, new electricity cables are being laid, which involves diggers and spades to dig trenches.

Whenever a new barn is built, the electricity is linked up by circuitous routes so that electricity cables along with drainage and water pipes criss-cross the yard under the concrete. In truth, nobody knows exactly where they all lie. Every now and then, we have to run down the road to ask the chap who worked here for decades if he remembers where they are. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn’t. From now on, we’re going to have a logical and planned electricity supply. More importantly, it’s going to be copied onto a plan and kept in a safe place.

farm logs

Branches and trunks from trees that have fallen over have been cut into lengths and are stacked, ready for sawing into logs. It’s good to know that next winter’s wood supply is ready and waiting.

farm window

Ignoring the dodgy brickwork, shall we peek through the farmhouse window to look inside?

You know those Pinterest boards with immaculate boot rooms? Classy accessories are tidily stored on open shelves, clean boots stand in a row on a gleaming floor and everything is beautifully colour co-ordinated.

farmhouse boot room

One day I might have a boot room like that.     Perhaps.     Meanwhile, this is the reality.

spring flowers in a jug

Thank goodness I have some spring flowers to put in a jug and enjoy.

39 thoughts on “On The Farm in March

The floor looks lovely when it’s clean but the dirt collects in the gaps between them. They’re like you find in old stables, which makes me wonder what that part of the house was used for in the past.

1. Sam says:

It’s a proper boot room with muddy boots in it! Jugs of beautiful flowers always distract from less-than-immaculate surroundings, I find 🙂

2. arlingwoman says:

Thanks for showing us your real boot room! (or as New Englanders I know say, mud room) Your flowers bring a nice spot of joy. I’d love to see ditches of primroses.

3. Jo van Niekerk says:

We are in the Macedon Ranges in Victoria, Australia. Our boot room looks like yours, with the addition of school bags, piles of sports equipment and dog leads. Not-so-organized chaos!

4. anna warren portfolio says:

Your second picture, of the muddy track running along the hedge gave me a lurch, and whisked me back to Wiltshire. I could have taken almost exactly that photo. I used to find primroses and cowslips in that hedge …

5. fergie51 says:

That’s a REAL boot from! Exactly what it’s meant to be like. Appreciate your rain, we could really do with some here. Primroses are so pretty and what a lovely piece of smiling brightness they bring to the day for you. That is very interesting brickwork, are the bricks on the left of the joint older and hand made? I love bricks 🙂

The bricks on the left are older and on the right are part of an extension that was added to the house in 1855. I think they must have used cowboy builders as the whole extension has sunk in one corner, as you can see from the rather unlovely plugging of the gap where it’s pulled away from the original building.

6. kaydeerouge says:

Oh, how exciting to see primroses out! Ours (in Northumberland) aren’t out yet, though I am checking everyday. Love the little posy at the end of the post too. Even if the trees are still bare, there are enough positive signs of spring to encourage. And what a nice normal boot room:)

Super dooper neoprene lined Gumleaf wellies so I’ve had warm feet all winter. And if I fall headfirst into a ditch, with luck somebody will notice my red wellies from afar and pull me out.

7. Joanne Vidal says:

Wet snow coming down here in eastern Canada. Only primroses I see are in the grocery store! My mudroom is just like yours, a mess. Added the seed shelves this week, but still too early to start plants off. Enjoy the sunny days.

8. nanacathy2 says:

The boot room is perfect, we have the kitchen floor and when I am tired of tripping over them I banish them to the hall, and sometimes to the car boot!

9. homeslip says:

I loved looking through the window into your boot room. Our garage is where I and my off-road cycling husband divest and deboot. We even have an old coat stand in there. Wild primroses in my garden and on the common are just showing a hint of pale yellow and the ground has dried out nicely in the chilly easterly wind.

The combination of a good wind and the sunshine yesterday has dried our ground wonderfully. For the first time in ages, I didn’t need to wear wellies to walk the dog this morning.

10. e / dig inhobart says:

such beautiful images – textures and shapes and silhouettes. so quiet and calming.
    it’s a special time of year when the seasons change over – autumn has hit us this week, and the light and air is so wondrous.

11. RuitFarmNorth says:

Love your boot room! Our mudroom is stuffed with a pantry cabinet, two chest freezers and a stacked washer and dryer that I can barely reach. Yours looks so much more inviting :*)

Working farms have houses that just happen, I am afraid! Still beautiful in its way!

Thank you for the interesting tour Anne. Your place has so much wonderful history. The floor of your mud room is beautiful. We have a mud room too and I always have plans to make it more Pinterest worthy. In reality it is full of various shoes, jackets, hats, torches, sunscreen and other miscellaneous bits and pieces that get dumped there. But, it is a very useful part of the house!

Electricity cables can be a nightmare to locate, we have found this problem over the years also.