Christmas tree

Carrying home the Christmas tree

No matter how prepared we think we are, the first day of selling Christmas trees always sneaks up and almost catches us out. All week Bill and Jack have filled the Christmas Tree Barn with trees, set out the tree stands  and hung up the first wreaths  on the display board. There was a slight panic today when we couldn’t find the Christmas lights but now everything is in place ready to open the Christmas Tree Barn tomorrow for the 2016 season.

It’s good to welcome back old customers and meet new ones, especially when they’re a new generation of families that have been coming here for decades though it makes me feel old when a proud mother wheels in a pushchair and it feels hardly any time since her mother did the same thing.

New customers, particularly those who’ve never bought a real Christmas tree before, often phone us before they visit as they worry about how they’ll transport their tree home. We explain that once a tree is netted, it doesn’t take up much room and unless it’s particularly large it will probably fit in their car, especially if the back seats can be laid flat. That said, we’ve seen trees disappearing down the drive in many different ways.

carrying home the Christmas tree

One year, a chap turned up on a bicycle and strapped the tree to his saddle and wheeled it away (though he hasn’t been back with his bike since). There are a few families who regularly walk here and carry their tree back between them, some people arrive in a large van while others tow a small trailer. Possibly the most romantic, especially if there’s snow, is the family that pile into a trailer that’s towed by a vintage tractor.

carry-home-the-christmas-tree-sports-car

Convertible cars seem another popular option; once the roof is lowered, the tree can be slid into the front seat and safely strapped into place. Unfortunately, this usually means the passenger has to walk home.

Carrying home the Christmas Tree on a Land Rover

But for many people, the only way to carry home the Christmas Tree is to strap it to the top of the car. Christmas music playing on the stereo is compulsory along with Christmas jumpers and festive hats.

If you’re planning to get your tree soon, there’s some tips below.

how to choose a wonderful Christmas tree

Do you have a preferred way to carry home your Christmas Tree?

Or maybe you have an artifical tree or don’t have one at all.

Do tell.

20 thoughts on “Carrying home the Christmas tree

1. biggardenblog says:

[D] In Uist, Xmas trees are all imported from the mainland, are hard to get, poor choice, and eye-wateringly expensive. We did buy real trees a couple of years, but it’s too much cost for little benefit – these days it’s just for the two of us. We’ve got a good artifical, but they are so unspeakably joyless and, well, artificial! So these days we don’t bother at all. But if we were near to yours, we’d certainly be buying one of yours! We’d take it home in the stock trailer, but then if we lived where you do it’s very unlikely we’d be able to afford land or for that matter anything bigger than a matchbox house. So, alas, it would be a very small tree! Do you do bonsai Xmas trees? ;~)

We sell a few very small artificial trees with the decorations and I agree that they are unspeakably joyless and I’d rather have no tree or just cut some foliage from the garden. We’ve had a few trees loaded into horse trailers but never proper stock trailers, probably because stock-keeping people arrive in a pick-up and sling the tree in the back.

2. arlingwoman says:

Such excellent tree picking advice. My trees have generally fit in the trunk with the back seats lowered or on the roof. The past few years, I have had a small potted tree that I almost didn’t buy, thinking it would just die afterward. Then I looked a little more closely, touched it, and realized it was not alive to begin with. It takes a good fake to fool a nurseryman’s daughter, so I bought it. It doesn’t have that lovely scent though…

I’ve been taken in several times by fake flowers but I haven’t seen a Christmas tree good enough to convince yet. Yours must be a cracker. The trouble is that the scent is half the pleasure of a tree, but I suspect some of the Christmas scent sprays are probably pretty good now.

3. Sam says:

Oooh, now I’m feeling all Christmassy. I love your photos, Anne. Beautiful. And the blog-snow – how did you do that?! We usually buy a proper tree from a nearby farm and bring it home in the car. It used to be a family trip to choose one but last year I went on my own. I’m going to make someone come with me this year because the rest of the family complained it was too small! Hope you have a hugely successful season x

I remember reading about your trip to buy the tree. I think half the fun is going with some of the family, otherwise it turns into normal shopping. The blog snow just comes on automatically – it surprises me every December. I don’t know if I fiddled with some WordPress settings one year or if they all do it.

4. homeslip says:

I can see you’ve been having fun Anne. My son is working at our local independent nursery and is bringing home our Christmas tree on foot today. (It’s free so it seems churlish to refuse.) He tells me it will be a Nordman Fir grown in Scotland and I will like its softness. But I will miss the fresh pine scent of our traditional and locally grown Norway Spruce (even better is the scent from a very freshly-cut Scots Pine when we’ve helped with scrub clearance and brought home a tree as our reward). But a small Norway spruce outside the front door sounds like a very good idea and means I can still go to my local place in the hills and choose my own. (They also sell their own undyed alpaca wool so there is a hidden agenda with this plan!)

Anne…I adore these photos. Just gorgeous, Christmas magic weaved into one of my favourite things, old toys. Since you asked, we usually cut down a branch from a fresh gum (eucalyptus) tree and decorate it in our deck/outdoor area. These branches tend to drop their leaves quickly so can be quite messy but they look at home in our surrounds. Happy tree selling.

6. RuitFarmNorth says:

Love the photos! We do Christmas and Hanukkah, so we try not to go overboard on either, but after having a string of Charlie Brown trees (cut from our own woods), we have begun cutting at a local cut-your-own. Much nicer! Good luck on the holiday sales, it seems like a happy business to be in.