Night time thoughts

bed with patchwork quilt

Woken at 3am by conversation outside bedroom door as one son returns from evening out and the other sets off to work. Still wide awake at 3.15am. Try to lull myself back to sleep by making lists in my head. Manage to list a boy’s name for every letter of the alphabet, struggle with girl’s name beginning with X. Remember visualisation technique suggested by midwife to block pain and imagine that I’m on a beach, sand between my toes, water lapping gently, sun warming my back … Mind drifts. Which beach? Where am I walking to? Have soon planned holiday in the sun and vowed to take up open water swimming. Remember that visualisation was of little help during labour too.

Try relaxation from yoga class. Concentrate on breathing. Cannot stop thinking about breathing. Wonder what will happen if I stop thinking about breathing. Try to recreate soothing voice of the yoga teacher in my head to remind of next step. Ask myself why I stopped going to yoga and remember that it clashed with netball. Try to work out schedule for doing both and progress to many brilliant thoughts, none of which relate to yoga or netball. Suspect some thoughts may seem slightly less brilliant at 7am.

Drift off to sleep with notion that writing something on the blog every day for a week might jolt me out of my blogging lethargy. Wonder if people might think such prolific output strange but vow to try it. Decide it prudent to keep idea to myself until have actually carried out intention.

38 thoughts on “Night time thoughts

1. wthrlady says:

I too am a member in good standing of the weee hours of the morning club. Being 6 hours behind GM time, I would find daily posts quite entertaining!

2. hoorayaly says:

Go for it Anne. We love to read them! I have been known to bake cakes and complete piles of ironing in the wee small hours. Family became used to it when they came downstairs in the morning!

One week has been enough 🙂 It’s never crossed my mind to do the ironing when I can’t sleep! Maybe next time I can’t sleep just imagining myself ironing will be enough to send me back to sleep. Ironing and baking sound very productive ways to deal with sleeplessness though.

3. Sue says:

I was listing authors for every letter of the alphabet last night. I’m not sure such activities induce sleep though as they force the brain to stay awake. I am enjoying your daily blog posts tremendously but if I’ve learnt anything from blogging it is not to set myself targets.

How about Xanthe for X?

Yes, Xanthe. X is always my downfall in any of the lists. Wise words about blogging; doing something for a week is about my limit for targets and even then, I don’t count weekends because I try not to keep offline from Friday evening until Monday morning.

• Carole at La Fosse says:

I’m a Xanthe Clay fan – best known in this house for her glut management cookery book It’s Raining Plums. So I got Xanthe. 🙂 Not sure I’d manage the rest because I’d be asleep by C. I’m sometimes mildly envious of people who need less sleep… I’d get so much more done if I didn’t have>/b> to take my 8 hours. But I really came in to say I love the quilt in the opening photo. Home crafted? It’s gorgeous.

4. croftgarden says:

Welcome to the 3am club. Regular attendance is not obligatory, lifetime membership is free and the only rule is never let the blogs you write in your head between the hours of 2-3am escape.

5. Maureen says:

I too try to do my yoga breathing, sometimes I try what”s suggested that is try staying awake, unfortunately I”m highly successful at that! I look forward to your increased output.

6. Carole at La Fosse says:

I’m a Xanthe Clay fan – best known in this house for her glut management cookery book It’s Raining Plums. So I got Xanthe. 🙂 Not sure I’d manage the rest because I’d be asleep by C. I’m sometimes mildly envious of people who need less sleep… I’d get so much more done if I didn’t have to take my 8 hours. But I really came in to say I love the quilt in the opening photo. Home crafted? It’s gorgeous.

I should have just logged in here at 4:00 am when I woke up and thought…wait a minute, why did I get that letter from my prescription drug insurance saying they approved that medication when it should be covered under my Medicare health insurance? (I know that thought won’t make much sense to you over there but we’ve got quite a convoluted health system here and that letter would mean I’d be charged hundreds of dollars for a prescription injected by my doctor when I was fully covered and not charged anything up til now. It also means that I’ll be spending half my day on the phone trying to figure out what is going on)

Anyway, has anyone else noticed that early am thoughts are usually bleak and happy, I’m sitting on a warm beach just watching the waves roll in kind of thoughts? And that’s one of my early am thoughts – does our body chemistry change throughout the day resulting in mood changes?

Do you think that thought had been pusehed to the back of your mind and suddenly exploded in your brain, waking you up? Interesting question about changes in thoughts through the day. My early morning thoughts are always very dynamic. If I’m going to change the world, it probably has to happen between 1 and 4 in the morning.

• dianeskitchentable says:

I’m not sure if this was something that I even gave much thought to when I opened the letter but it’s possible. I used to sew a lot and when I would run into a problem making something, I’d set it aside and at bedtime I would step through the problem before falling asleep. Almost without fail I’d wake up and the solution or workaround would be right there.

8. Lynn says:

I’m a big sleeper so I rarely wake in the wee hours (even when my children were babes – they’d sleep with me so that I wouldn’t have to ‘wake up’ to nurse them!) However, the few times that I have woken in the night and just can’t get back to sleep no matter what relaxation method I try and fail, I get up and knit/crochet or read a bit.

Ah! A fellow insomniac! I sympathise. My heart always sinks when I hear the church bell strike 2.00 or 3.00am. 4.00 am is not too bad & 5.00 am is just an earlier start than usual but 1.00, 2.00 or 3.00 am are bad news indeed, I think. Sometimes it helps to get up and do something, sometimes one just feels too tired. The good news is that usually the pattern breaks after a while, for no apparent reason. Sorry! Cold comfort, I fear! Knit your second mitten perhaps? or a pair of bedsocks which apparently are a recommended weapon against insomnia (as well as colds, believe it or not!) I hope you sleep well tonight! E x

Prolific output is fine by me Anne! I had a laugh at your comments about visualisation being little help during labour…I couldn’t agree more. I am not sure what helped really…sheer determination for the whole thing to be over was what got me through! Your bedroom is very serene.

11. kaydeerouge says:

I’m another wide-awake-in-the-middle-of-the-night sleeper. And have tried all sorts of remedies – actually getting up and doing a bit of yoga and having a cup of herb tea helps best for me – seems to break the mind’s intense wakefulness. The worst nights are when like Fleur Adcock’s wonderful poem, “Things” : “It is 5 A.M. All the worse things come stalking in and stand icily about the bed looking worse and worse and worse.”

12. Amy at love made my home says:

Right now I have too many things going round in my head, but in quieter restless times I lay in bed and build my dream house in my head. It has had quite a few renovations and changes over the years, but it does the trick for me. Hope that you get lots of sleep and lots of blogging done!

13. Gerlinde @ Sunnycovechef says:

I love those early hours by myself if I wake up around 5:00 am. I try different techniques when I wake up earlier. I would never think about blogging daily. Once or twice a month is good. I have to make sure that my recipes for the blog are where I want them to be.